Wednesday 20 March 2013

Grammar: unless

http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/learningenglish/radio/specials/1617_gramchallenge43/



Unless
We can use unless in place of except if and only if to talk about the conditions under which something can happen.



Unless with a subject and verb means only if or except if in positive and negative sentences. The other part of the sentence gives the possible result.

possible resultunlesssubject and verb
I'm not going to danceunlessyou ask me.
I won't go by carunlessit's a long way.
We can go to the parkunlesssomeone has a better idea.


unlesssubject and verbpossible result
Unlesswe're there by 8 o'clockwe won't get anything to eat.
UnlessElena wants to take a taxiwe can go by bus.
Unlessyou tell me who broke the cupI will make you pay for it.




Exercise 1:
Match the beginnings of the sentences to the correct endings.
1.       You can't watch television in the  UK… .    …unless you have a licence.
2.        Don't tell her what happened…. . …unless she asks you.
3.       You don't have to call me… . …unless you're going to be late.
4.        We're going for a picnic tomorrow… . …unless it rains.
5.       Children are not allowed into the cinema… . …unless they are with an adult.
6.       You have to pay to enter the exhibition… …unless you are over 65 years old.
7.        Michael's quite shy. He doesn't talk to people… …unless they talk to him first
8.       I'm not buying that computer……unless they give me a discount.

Exercise 2: Correct or wrong?
Read the sentences and decide whether they are correct or wrong, either in grammar or meaning.
1. I don't watch TV unless the news is on.
a. Correct
2. We can sit near the front unless you don't want to sit at the back.
b. Wrong unless you  want to sit at the back.
3. You will put on weight unless you eat fatty food.
b. Wrong  You might put on weight if you eat fatty food' is better
4. Unless you will wear a thick coat, you will get very cold.
b. Wrong  'Unless you wear a thick coat…
5. Unless they are showing an action film, we could go to the movies tomorrow afternoon.
a. Correct
6. You can borrow my car unless you ask me first.
b. Wrong  You can’t borrow my car unless you ask me first'.

Use the grammar 
Imagine you are the parent of a very lazy teenager, Chris. S/he won't help around the house, is very untidy and messy, and isn't doing very well at school. S/he has lots of plans for his or her free time, but you have decided that it is time for some discipline! Read the dialogue below and see if you can continue it using unless

We'll publish our five favourite entries.
Chris:
Can I go out tonight?
You:
Have you done your homework yet?
Chris:
...
You:
...
Chris:
...
You:
...

etc.


Thank you for sending your comments. This topic has now closed.
Yuan, Indonesia
Chris: Not Yet
I: You cannot go out tonight unless you do your homework.
Chris: But Mom, I promise to do it tomorrow morning.
I: You have to help me preparing the breakfast. So you cannot help me preparing the breakfast unless you do your homework tonight.
Chris: You're so cruel mom!
I: No.. I am a nice Mommy unless you're lazy
Catherine says: 
Hello Yuan, and thanks for your dialogue! I really like the last line - very funny and with perfect use of 'unless' - well done!

I'd like to mention verb patterns, Yuan. You wrote 'You have to help me preparing the breakfast' - a native speaker would probably say 'help me to prepare' or just 'help me prepare'.



Alicia, Argentina
Chris: not yet,and I wont do it unless you give me permission to go out tonight!!
Me: what!!??? Miss Untidy Girl! go to your bedroom and stay there until you finish your homework! unless you want to see me very angry.
Chris: I'm very angry!
Me: 
Look at me, you made me crazy little girl, go away unless you want me to take a very strong decision, you are not allowed to go to dance for the next two weekends 

 



'Unless you do your homework, you can't go out from your room!'

 'Unless enrol, (NOT 'don't enroll') for the skateboard championship, I can't participate.'
 'Unless you tidy your room, you can't (not 'don't) take the skateboard out the cabinet.'


Alexey, Russia
C. Not yet.
Y. You cannot go out unless you do your homework.
C. I cannot do my homework unless I have something to eat.
Y. Unless you help me with housework we will not eat anything
C. OK



No comments:

Post a Comment