Thursday 14 March 2013

Grammar so/such



http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/learningenglish/radio/specials/177_gramchallenge11/


So... that and such... that are used to describe reasons and results.

So + adjective + that

Subject & verbsoadjectivethat(result)
The ice-cream wassogoodthatI ordered a second bowl


Such + adjective + noun + that


Subject & verbsuchadjective + nounthat(result)
It wassuchgood coffeethatI drank three cups
It'ssucha great restaurantthatI'll definitely go again


She works so hard that / she is such a hard worker

Exercise 1

The weather was so ….        bad that we stayed at home all  

 It was such a cold day … that we couldn't go out at all.
 The shoes were so cheap …that I bought 3 pairs
 It was such an expensive dress … that I couldn't afford to buy it.
 The exam was so difficult that … I only answered 3 questions.
 It was such an easy exam that …I finished it an hour early.
 The cake was so delicious that …  I ate 3 pieces
 It was such a horrible cake … I couldn't eat any of it.


Exercise 2:

Read the sentence and choose the one option a-d which best fits the space.

1. I ... that I fell asleep on the bus.
a. was such tired
b. was tired
c. was so tired 
d. so tired

2. It was ... it broke down every few weeks.
a. such an old that
b. such an old car so
c. so an old car that
d. such an old car that 

3. We were ... that we ate the food before it was properly cooked.
a. such hungry
b. so hungry
c. such hunger
d. so a hungry

4. He was ... that he hardly had any friends at all.
a. so shy 
b. such a shy
c. such shy
d. shy so

5. They were ... that they were invited to parties every weekend.
a. so a popular couple
b. so popular couple
c. such popular
d. such a popular couple 

6. The music was ... that I could hardly hear myself think.
a. so loudly
b. such loudly
c. such loud
d. so loud




Exercise 3: Word Order

Choose the 5 words which complete each sentence:

1. The ... team played so well that   ....       they won the match.
so that play team well such played

2. It was ... such a good film that ....   I went to see it again.
good a that so such film boring

3.   I felt so angry that  ... I could hardly control myself.
angry so such I that felt angrily

4. She ... was a such hard worker ...... that she got a promotion.
a so worker hard work was such 

5. He worked so hard that ... he got a pay rise.
such so that work he hard worked 

6. We were so tired that ... we had to go home early.
we tired tiring were such so that







No comments:

Post a Comment